Sunday 10 November 2013

Resurrecting two old chisels

I found these two old inch and a half chisels in a box of stuff I bought at a garage sale a few weeks ago.

With my newfound interest in woodwork, I thought I would do these two up and they could be the start of getting together a 'fine' collection of good tools rather than the pile of stuff that currently exists.

As you can see they are in a pretty sorry state:


One has had its yellow hard plastic handle smashed while the other has been converted to a cold chisel with a metal pipe handle which appears to have had the shite bashed out of it.

I managed to extract the handles without too much damage and wire brushed the blades. One is a Titan chisel while the other has no discernible markings.

I located a nice piece of ironbark and have started turning them down into two handles. The ironbark is pretty hard on my turning tools although my new carbide tip roughing tool still makes mincemeat out of roughing to round.

I am lucky enough to have an older Woodfast wood lathe which I picked up on the bay of E from a high school workshop in the Dandenongs. It is an oldy but a goody and will probably do everything I need from a lathe.
Still need to trim the ends



I also used my new (to me) Hercus lathe to turn down some brass tube into ferrules - for both ends.



Got a bit carried away with a  taper on the ferrules, but they should fit easier.

You can also see the wire brushed chisel which is still showing a bit of pitting but I have not spent to much time cleaning that up yet.

I have been learning a bit lately about sharpening and grinding of hand tools from UOY (University of U-Tube) and have been using my slow rotating white wet stone grinder to slowly grind away the chainsaw looking blade edge.  I need to keep an eye out for a good piece of marble that I can use as a flat surface, but until then the cast iron band saw table is doing a great job.

to be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment