Thursday 14 November 2013

Restoration? No - more like a resurrection

My boatyard does not really have a name at the moment. For the previous five years or so I was collaborating with David McCaskill who operated there under the trading name of Wooden Boatworks. However David is currently the Foreman at Gippsland Ports where he and Paul Vernon are doing a great job of building up that facility.

Since the sign came down - we have not put another one up because I am not sure what we should call it.

Paynesville boat centre, Paynesville centre for boat restoration, Reid's boatyard..... However with all the old boats I have collected over the past years I think we might have to call it The Centre for Dead and Dying Boats.  

I can't help myself. If I see something that is heading to a sadder place I cant stop collecting it and 'doing it up one day'.

We also have unofficial competition going - this was allegedly started by Steve Hall who said that the 'man who dies with the most amount of boats - wins'. Sadly Steve, who was a consummate lover of boats, cars and all things classic, died a few years ago and is therefore the current title holder.

Now I am not in a desperate hurry to claim this title - but if something did happen, then I could be in the running for the next title holder. I would like to be remembered for something important.

Anyway the point of this story.....

I would like to include on this blog - boats of significance or that have some history - or both.

The first is Isabel (could be Isobel, Isabelle, Isobelle, Isobell or Isabell)




Isabel is currently located at the front of the yard and if you go past you would have noticed her.  Classic 21ft clinker built, double ended lakes fishing boats. Allegedly built in Paynesville around 1920(?), spent time at Port Franklin or Port Albert and was eventually bought by a Melbourne syndicate who did restore her to sailing trim before sadly ending up in a yard in Williamstown.

As the yard was soon to be sold, she was heading for the knackers and I could not bear to see her cut up, nor could her former owner. So it came to me - hopefully so that 'someone' could 'do her up one day'.


I was happy to pay the $500 for transport - and now she sits - waiting.


Note the hand hewn stern


I would love to see this boat returned to her former glory. There is a sailing rig, prop and shaft and a small amount of hardware. If someone wanted to undertake the task we could come to a very generous arrangement.

If you had a bit of spare cash - then we have a couple of local boat builders who would love to do the work for you, or with you - but this boat is not for the fainthearted or inexperienced. This is not a restoration project - more like a resurrection

If anyone has more history on Isabel I would be pleased to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment